Definitions are provided in accordance with GOST R 52177-2003 Food Flavorings: General Technical Specifications
- Food flavoring: Any food additive introduced for improvement of flavor and taste, made of a mix of flavor and taste-enhancing substances or a single flavor- and taste-enhancing substance (flavor- and taste-enhancing component) with or without a solvent agent or a dry carrier (filling).
- Natural flavoring: Substance containing only natural components from whatever sources are available.
- Identical to natural flavor: Any flavoring, which contains one or several identical to natural flavors; may also contain natural flavorings
- Artificial flavoring: Any flavoring, which contains one or several artificial flavor substances, and which may also contain natural and identical to natural flavorings.
- Technological (reactionary) flavoring: Any flavoring obtained through interaction between amino compounds and reducing sugars.
- Smoke flavoring: The flavoring obtained from filtered smoke, applied in traditional smoking of foods.
- Flavor enhancing substance: An organic substance with characteristic flavor, intended for making food flavorings.
- Natural flavor- and taste-enhancing substance: A flavoring (or a mixture thereof), made of raw materials of plant or animal origin, including the preparation of foodstuffs processed by traditional ways, by means of physical or biotechnological methods.
- Flavor- and taste-enhancing, identical to the natural substance: Any flavoring substance found in raw material of plant or animal origin, obtained by a chemical method; a mix of substances made of smoke, and applied in traditional smoking, or obtained from a mix of amino compounds and reducing sugars.
- Artificial flavor- and taste-enhancing substance: Any flavoring not identified in raw materials of plant or animal origin and obtained through chemical synthesis.
Note – food flavoring may include food raw materials, food colorants, cloud emulsions, preservatives, antioxidants and other food additives and substances allowed by authorized bodies.
Please Note. Recently the Union of Manufacturers of Food Components (UMFC) introduced a draft of the Federal law “On Technical Regulations Regarding Application of Food Additives, Flavorings And Technological Auxiliary Means,” which introduces slightly modified terms and definitions ( www.ingredients.firmsite.ru ).